The civil parish of Walesby is located approximately 16 miles north of Newark and centred around St Edmunds Church. Originally built in the 12 century, the church had to be rebuilt in the 16th century by the Stanhope family with further restorations taking place in 17th Century, 1886 and 1925. Walesby is most famous for its forest, part of which forms the 250 acre scout camp site at the edge of the village and hosts international scouting events amongst other things. It has a regular bus link local towns, including Ollerton and Retford, as well as a highly regarded primary school.
A small village approximately 3 miles east of Ollerton. The Holy Trinity Church is Grade II listed and believed to date back to the 13th century and further restored in 1865. Hall Farm was built circa 1630 and is an early example of brick facing on walls of rough skerry.
Ollerton village is situated at the crossroads of York to London, Worksop to Newark and Lincoln to Mansfield roads. Due to its location, in mediaeval times it became the meeting place of forest officials, commissioners and Justices of the Peace, which led to the development of the two coaching inns, The White Hart and The Hop Pole. Formerly a rural village, hops were grown on the banks of the River Maun as early as 1691 and a weekly hop market was held in the Village on Fridays. The Village is home to the only working watermill in Nottinghamshire, built in 1713 on the same spot as one mentioned in the Domesday Book. With many of the original dwellings still standing, Ollerton village is a highly desirable location for its period charm and proximity to the necessary amenities in neighbouring New Ollerton.
A quiet residential village situated between the A616 and A617 between Ollerton and Southwell. Eakring Mill was a five storey brick tower windmill and was built sometime after 1820. The sails were removed in 1912, it was derelict in 1936 and then converted into a residential dwelling around 1995.
Two other windmills have also been shown on maps dating back to 1832. The parish church of St. Andrew is Grade II listed and built in the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries and was restored in the early 1880s when the seating was also replaced. There is a font bearing the date 1674 and a plaque commemorating the fitting of the tower clock in 1887.
A small village situated approximately 7 miles from Retford which lies next to the River Meden and has a small motte and bailey castle at the west end of the village. The parish church of St Peter and St Mary was built in 1845, which was built on the site of an earlier church from which the font was retained. Bothamsall has bus links to Retford and is in close proximity to the A1.
A pretty little village, approximately 2 miles from New Ollerton and with a direct route to Newark, Wellow has a historic background with the church of St. Swithin dating back to the 12 Century originally but was restored in 1878/9 and again in 1968. Wellow has a public green and maypole that is still in use today, and the well renowned Wellow House School, situated in 20 acres of idyllic countryside. The school caters for children aged 3 – 13 and was established in 1971. Wellow is on the main bus route to Newark, and is within easy reach of both the A1 and M1.
Established in the early 20th Century, New Ollerton neighbours the more historic Ollerton village and was built around the colliery for its workers. The first roads to be built were Poplar Street, Oak Avenue, Pine Avenue, Sycamore Road and Birch Road, with New Ollerton being known as a ‘model village’ for its high standard of living with semi detached houses, large gardens and running hot water supplied by the pit. As the colliery became established, the town grew and now has an abundance of amenities including supermarkets, schools, leisure centre and parish churches.
Although it closed in 1994, the former pit site is now home to Sherwood Energy Village, which has received media attention for its environmental principles. New Ollerton has good public transport links to larger towns and cities like Mansfield, Newark and Nottingham, as well as being close to major road such as the M1 and A1.
With areas of Retford dating back to Victorian times, the historic market town has an eclectic mix of period and modern properties, amenities and landmarks and is twinned with the town of Pfungstadt in Germany. The Town Hall, for example, is an ornate French inspired Grade II listed Victorian building in the centre of the town close to the cobbled stone market place. In more recent times, the town has grown to include an array of shops, returants, schools and supermarkets. Retford has excellent train links, including a direct service to London in around 2 hours, as well as being a short drive from the A1.
A small village next to New Ollerton, Boughton forms part of the civil parish of Ollerton and Boughton. St Matthews Church is Grade II listed and forms part of the Church of England dating back to 1868. Situated on the edge of Sherwood forest, Boughton pumping station began pumping water in 1905 and gained its Grade II listing in 1974. By 1980, the building was obsolete and in major need of repair. Renamed as Blackburn House, Boughton pumping station is a bistro style restaurant with a licence to perform civil wedding ceremonies and is an ideal setting for christenings and parties.
Mansfield Woodhouse is a large village about 1.2 miles north of Mansfield town itself. The village’s wealth was traditionally based on quarrying, mining, farming and textile industries. Mansfield Woodhouse today has a number of nursery, infant and primary schools and a large comprehensive school which is well known for its large recreation and sports center, it also has its own Morrison’s supermarket and other local amenities. Mansfield Woodhouse has its own train station situated off Debdale lane which is a stop on the Robin Hood railway line and sees two services run by East Midlands Trains, an hourly Nottingham-Worksop (and return) and hourly Nottingham-Mansfield Woodhouse which terminates before returning.
There is also a regular bus service provided every 10 minutes from Mansfield woodhouse to Mansfield town.
Mansfield is the home to Mansfield Town F.C and is a market town situated around 12 miles north of Nottingham. The town has a newly built bus station which opened for business in March 2013 and provides regular services to neighbouring villages, towns and cities and also has a train station which is a stop on the Robin Hood Line and provides regular services similar to the bus services provided. The town center provides a good range of retails shops and places to eat as well a very popular market square which includes a range of different stalls and also provides a range of entertainment for all the family including the Palace
Theatre and Mansfield Museum. As well as being a bustling town Mansfield provides a piece of the countryside ideal for family days out and dog walking in one of its many parks and green spaces including Titchfield Park and Carr bank Park.
Warsop is a civil parish in the District of Mansfield located in Nottinghamshire. The parish consists of several settlements including Market Warsop, Church Warsop, Meden Vale, Warsop Vale, Sookholme, Gleadthorpe and Nettleworth. Warsop was originally a Market town and has a church standing in the center of the community which has been there for over 1000 years. Warsop has local amenities, schools, doctors and vets with transport links to Mansfield which is the nearest town with all main amenities and retail shops.
Nottingham is a large city situated in the East Midlands which is well known for its links to Robin Hood and for its lace-making and tobacco industries and was granted its city charter in 1897 as part of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Nottingham is also known for its culture and shopping opportunities as well as being recognized nationally for its quality of bars and restaurants. The city has an award winning public transport system which includes the largest publicly owned bus network in England. Transport in Nottingham also includes Nottingham railway station which provides services to nearby towns and villages as well as other major cities, the cities tram serve is known as the Nottingham express transit and has a second line which is due to open in 2015. The nearest airport to Nottingham would be East Midlands Airport which is on average 13 miles south-west of the city. Over 60,000 students attend the city’s two universities known as Nottingham Trent and the University of Nottingham with its medical school forming part of the Queens Medical Centre.
Edwinstowe is a village and civil parish in the heart of Sherwood Forest north Nottinghamshire and derives its name from King Edwin of Northumbria and means Edwin’s resting place due to King Edwin being killed in 633 CE in the battle of Hatfield Chase and his body hidden in the church. Tourism is a major influence on the local economy due to the popularity of Robin Hood and the location of his base at the Major Oak and popular belief that Robin Hood and Maid Marian were married in St Mary’s Church. Edwinstowe Village provides a large amount of facilities including local pubs, schools, restaurants, Sherwood Forest and Thoresby Colliery which has served as Edwinstowe’s main source of employment but is due to close in 2015 due to the decline of the British coal industry.p>
Clipstone is situated in North Nottinghamshire and is a small ex-coal mining village built on the site of an old army base and lies in the heart of Sherwood Forest. Clipstone is separated into two and is known as Kings Clipstone and New Clipstone. Clipstone provides local amenties, schools and doctors, it also has a regular bus service to Mansfield, Edwinstowe and Ollerton.
Newark is a thriving market town which lies on the river Trent and is located just off the A1 on the east side of Nottinghamshire. The town grew around Newark Castle which is now ruined and was a local centre for the wool and cloth trade. The town is a popular commuter town for Nottingham city which is around 20 miles away. Newark has two railway stations linked to the national network, the East Coast Main Line runs through the Newark North Gate railway station and provides links to London, Leeds, Newcastle on Tyne and Edinburgh.
The Newark Castle railway station lies on the line that runs to Leicester, Nottingham and Lincoln line providing cross-country regional links. The town also provides regular bus serves to local towns, cities and villages.
Forest Town is a former mining Village located on the outskirts of Mansfield Town, throughput the years continuous development now means it is no longer a separate entity and is simply an area within Mansfield. Although Forest Town is a part of Mansfield it does have local amenities, schools and transport links to Mansfield and neighbouring towns and villages.
Bilsthorpe is a village in the district of Newark and Sherwood in Nottinghamshire and is located around 5 miles south of the town Ollerton and near to the A614 and A617. The village has two children’s play parks, local amenities, one local pub and a local miner’s welfare, doctors, nursery and primary school with the closest comprehensive school being situated in New Ollerton.
Lincoln is a city located in the East Midlands with major landmarks including Lincoln Cathedral and Lincoln Castle. The city is also home to two universities known as The University of Lincoln and Bishops Grosseteste University. Lincoln has one train station which serves the city and is known as Lincoln Central station and provides services to several destinations such as Grimsby, Peterborough and Newark-on-Trent.